Sunday, February 12, 2012

Not Enough Ice at McQuade


I took a drive up to the McQuade boat launch today.  I was hoping to give lake trout fishing a shot from some of the only "reliable" Lake Superior ice near Duluth.  McQuade harbor is located about 10 miles up the shore from Duluth and has only been around for a few years.  Folks have been ice fishing there since the beginning, catching the occasional lake trout or other fish cruising through.  The last time I drove by was about a month ago, and there was one shelter in the harbor, located about 30 feet from open water.  Depending on the direction of the wind, the ice in the harbor can be good on one side, and bad on the other.  Today, there was no good ice to be found.  The wind was pretty much in my face from where this photo was taken, and the ice could be seen heaving up and down with the waves, almost to a point about half-way across the harbor.


This photo was taken from the east end of the breakwater, looking back toward the west (Duluth).  The combination of wind and cold can make for some interesting photos along the shore- this is nothing compared to what is possible.  I have a feeling that if I would have made it an hour or so earlier this morning, I would have had some beautiful photos with the sun coming up through the icicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment