Friday, June 15, 2012

Pagami Creek Fire Area BWCA 2012


During my first BWCA trip of 2012, I paddled the eastern edge of the Pagami Creek fire area.  The fire area was breathtaking, and this photo doesn't come close to doing justice.  This photo was taken on either Square Lake or Kawashachong Lake, just as you begin to observe the full impact of the fire on its eastern border.  The smell of smoke was still strong, even though the fire had subsided approximately 8 months prior.  Regardless of the politics that surround this particular fire, and how easily some have asserted that it could have been suppressed during the early stages, I decided to enjoy the changes for what they're worth...  With that said, I'm not an expert on fire, weather, forest ecology, or anything for else that played into the decisions that were made.  All that I know for sure is that I'm glad that nobody was injured during the fire and that it will be interesting to see how the forest changes going forward.


Another image of the Pagami Creek fire area near Square/Polly/Kawashachong Lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment