Monday, January 23, 2012

2012 BWCA Trip Planning- In the Pagami Creek Fire Area


This photo was taken in a BWCA fire area during June 2009- I believe it was between Gabimichigami and Rattle Lake.  It was an interesting area- scorched trees, as you can see in this photo, but also many wild roses, which seemed to thrive in this habitat.  The soil seemed to be changed from the fire and was almost sandy in appearance.  We only traveled through the fire area on this trip, on our way from Knife Lake, out toward our exit at Kawishiwi Lake.  I enjoyed passing through the area, but I don't think I would want to camp in it.  What will the Pagami Creek burn area look like?  How intense was the heat compared to what I observed in this area?  What was the vegetation like in each area before and after the fire?  I'm planning to find out this May, when I'm planning a trip where I'll travel through the eastern portion of the Pagami creek fire area, just south of where this photo was taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment