Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Small Lake Gamble


My cousin Ben was in town this Sunday and I convinced him to give up the safe bet of hitting Fish Lake for some crappie action.  The bite on Fish Lake has been more of a "grind it out" endeavor lately, so we opted for the thrill of a new lake.  Due to circumstances out of his control, he was running late, and we hit the ice at around 1 pm.  We had the lake to ourselves, as I suspected that we would, and it was a beautiful, warm, and calm day to be on the ice.


This was the only fish of the day, which was caught just after we got our initial 50 or so holes drilled.  It was over 13 inches, and it seems that this picture doesn't do it justice.  This really got our blood pumping, considering that we had just started to really fish hard and this was one of the first fish that we graphed.  The pink Northland Hexifly tipped with a minnow did the trick today.  Pink is my go-to color during the winter- walleyes or panfish.  Unfortunately, this was the only fish of the day- except for a northern that almost pulled one of my new reels through the ice.  We stuck it out until after sunset and hole-hopped throughout the day.  I'm sure I drilled over 200 holes on this outing, but when you're on a new lake, it's all about covering as much ground as you can, trying to locate active fish.  We did graph fish all day, but they were not active- and that doesn't do you any good as a fisherman.  Maybe I can use today to convince my wife that its time to invest in an underwater camera?  The sun came out shortly after this fish was caught and I wonder if that, combined with our timing, didn't have something to do with how the day turned out.  Considering the size of this lone fish, I'll give this lake another shot, only next time it will be starting at dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment